For promis’d joy!

In honor of Robert Burns we have today’s title.  It’s actually after the lines about how … “The best-laid schemes o’ mice an’ men / Gang aft agley, / An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain, …” but I’d really rather not dwell on that part.  Yet.

Service Cardi Progress sm

This is my progress to date on the Service Cardigan but it is worked with a dk weight yarn on US 6 needles.  I knit the sample (you can see a bit of it in the above photo) with Cascade 220; fortunately, I know how to recalculate to get it close to the size I need to work.  At any rate, I am up the back panel and ready to make decreases for the back armholes.  I am constructing it in the manner that is traditional to the period, which is to start at the back hem, work up to the shoulders, then continue down each front.  I strongly considered just working it in a modern fashion, but I’m doing this for Pauline at WAG Screen, so it needs to be much like the original.  She gave me the yarn and I promised to knit it.

But, in the words of the poet, my best plans don’t always come off smoothly, much to my distress.  I had the idea for another cardi and I hoped to get it submitted to Knitty for the First Fall issue (deadline is 1 March, I think, but it might be 1 June).  I have only to work the sleeves, collar and front band, and then I’m done with the knitting part.  Also, the pattern is nearly all written.

Except that Valentine’s Day is coming up and perhaps I could knit a pair of socks for my DH?  I played around with a pattern and that got me to having about 1/4 of the first sock done.  That’s three projects on needles, and I have only two hands.

And then I remember that my dear friend Bree is getting married this year.  (Where is that postcard with the date on it???) I thought I should make a quilt for her.  I went through my fabric stash because the one I had started was all reds and blacks and browns — not really colors for a wedding gift, if you know what I mean.  Besides, I don’t think it would be a very big quilt.  So I pulled out the ones that are turquoise and teal and I started cutting.  About halfway through I realized that this wouldn’t work, either.  And then I found the bundle of fabrics that would be perfect for a wedding quilt: ten 1-yard cuts of whites and creams and ivories with a bit of tan thrown in.  Except that I’m far too tired tonight to start in.

For promised joy, I will start cutting that fabric tomorrow when my mind is a bit fresher.  Until then, I am going to sit upstairs and watch some television while I knit a bit more on the Service Cardigan and go over some numbers for the quilt blocks in my head.